Wednesday, April 22, 2015

YHWH's life in us: Galatians part 2






Galatians 1: 17-19 neither went I up to Jerusalem to them that were apostles before me…then after three years I went up (returned) to Jerusalem to see Peter… but other of the apostles saw I none save James the Lords brother.

Galatians 2:1-2 then fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem…I went up by revelation and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the gentiles but privately to them which were of reputation…that because of false brethren unawares brought in who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ that they might bring us into bondage

Galatians 2: 6 …these who seemed to be somewhat…God accepteth no man’s person…in conference added nothing to me

Galatians 2: 9 …James, Cephes, and John who seemed to be pillars perceived the grace that was given unto me they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship…        

Galatians 2: 11-21 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

 

As we discussed in our look at chapter one Paul has started by pointing out that only YHWH through His Son by His Spirit can bring to us the living of YHWH’s life through us; and thereby it is not from men. The reason for this is that those who were teaching necessity of circumcision were using the fact that they had come from Jerusalem where the apostles of our master where; thereby implying if not outright saying that what they taught was what the apostles taught.

With this in mind we see Paul continuing His argument that not only did He have the revelation of the gospel from YHWH, but had spent time personally with the apostle Peter and by the Spirits leading years later had met with the apostles in conference to discuss what he preached. The conclusion of this conference was not only did they not find anything to correct or add to, but they recognized that YHWH had given Paul an apostleship equal to that of Peters call and gave their fellowship to him.

When we read phrases such as “seemed to be somewhat whatsoever they were it maketh no difference to me God accepteth no man’s person” we may think Paul did not hold these men in regard. One does not conference with others to be sure he has not ran in vain or refer to men as pillars if he does not hold them in regard.

Paul is simply bringing out that YHWH has no favorites. His life in us is one. A called apostle is no more favored of YHWH than any other saint. We submit to one another because we trust Messiah’s life in us and we trust His life in those He brings us into fellowship with.

So saying Apostle Jo told me is of no more importance than to say my taxi driver told me for the flesh prophets nothing but His Spirit is our life. Yet these false teachers were using that they had come from Jerusalem and implying if not saying that the things they were teaching were the same as the apostles in the Jerusalem church.

 Having a clear understanding of why Paul was inspired to write the epistle to the church at Galatia will give us better insight into what he is saying and what he is not. As we have said in our looking at the first chapter of this letter; there where some “teachers” at Galatia who were telling the brethren that it was necessary for them to be circumcised if they were to truly share in the covenant with YHWH.

Since it is widely taught in the church that the old covenant was a works righteousness based covenant (it was not) there is little reason, seen by most, to study the writings of Moses. This false idea alone has cheated many from understanding the life delivered to us by Messiah; but more immediately to our current consideration it stops us from understanding the core of the argument being addressed.          

Geneses 17: 7-14 and Exodus 12: 43-49 are most probably the text these teachers used to convince the Galatians that it was necessary to be circumcised if they expected to be in a right relationship with YHWH.

Pauls argument is not against the scriptures or the law but instead against the misunderstanding and carnal perception these men held of the scriptures and law.

Paul has effectively in my mind erased any special authority that these men might have claimed. Once more I find myself trying to charge ahead but let’s slow down and consider the first precept which Paul brings out to oppose those things which were being taught.

We are told of Peter coming to Antioch and eating with the gentiles. It is almost with certainty that Peter, Paul, and Barnabas were not eating pork chops and bacon as we see these men still participating in temple worship and Paul celebrating and honoring the feast days long after these events.

 What Paul is speaking of is that the Jews did not eat with gentiles because the pans cutlery and other food prep items used on their clean meat may have come in contact with something unclean and not been cleansed. Not forgetting that often the gentiles themselves were considered unclean and a Jew would not enter their homes much less fellowship by eating a meal with them.

Peter had already been taught of the Lord that YHWH was cleansing believing gentiles exactly as He was cleansing Jewish believers so He had no problem eating with these brothers. Then come some Jewish believers from Jerusalem’s congregation and they prefer to not eat with gentiles. Peter himself gets caught up in this old understanding and the problem explodes; after all Peter is the most influential and respected living disciple. Even Barnabas is carried away with their separatist ways.

We also see that the gentile believers begin thinking that perhaps they themselves are not living right. Paul sees a danger that goes beyond actions, the same danger which the galations now face; so he confronts Peter.

1)      The Jews who believe have life in the same way the gentiles have attained to life; faith in YHWH’s life given to them.

2)      We being Jews know the law and therefore can clearly see more so than the gentiles, who are ignorant that many of the things they do are sin, our need for a savior and that we can find justification only in Him

3)      If we by trusting in our sinful selves offend the law then seek Messiah to justify us then we make  Yeshua the minister of sin instead of the minister of YHWH’s life.

4)      If after I have been baptized into Messiahs death to put to death the old man who’s very nature was sinful; I attempt to live by that same power of self-ability a righteous life I make myself once more a sinner

5)      The law declared that sin brought death, I trust the law is true and right, and by that trust I cast the man I was onto Yeshua by dependence on Him, that He may carry the old me to the death of His cross that the life of YHWH’s breath that was placed back into Him may also bring me life.

6)      It is Messiah who lives in me now and by my trust, reliance, and expectancy of His life I am in this body of flesh but I do not live by its power or might or ability.

7)      I cannot depend on the power of my flesh and the power of YHWH’s Spirit at the same time; so I do not frustrate His life in me by trying to make myself perform the way of life (the law)

8)      If I could walk in the way of life by the power of my own ability then Messiah died for no purpose.

 

This is only the beginning of Pauls argument. We will see that the law is a description of who we will be when we trust YHWH to live in us, but when it is seen as a way to attain to life it only shows us how sinful we are. It also is not something to be thrown away it is the word of YHWH and His word is Him. Messiah is that word manifested in flesh; so if we are against the law we are against Yeshua.

It is like fire if used well it is a source of life but if used incorrectly it can be death.

Translate

Popular Posts