Friday, February 27, 2015

Can you drink of the Lord's cup?




 [[Mat 20:22-23/KJV]]
22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with:...
 [[Luk 22:20]] KJV
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
 [[Luk 22:42]] KJV
Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
 [[Joh 18:11]] KJV
 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
 [[1Co 10:21]] KJV
Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
 [[1Co 11:27-28/KJV]]
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
perhaps it was with the use of cup bearers by kings and how their fate was tied to the one who's cup they drank from,but at some point drinking from the cup came to be associated with fate. We see the harlot of Babylon with her cup of iniquity and murder of the saints being shared with the kings of the earth...sharing her fate.
So when Jesus ask can you drink of the cup I have been given...he is saying my Father has called me to poor out my life and die that others might live...holding no part back.
So it was that he would tell his disciples at the passover supper that they must all eat of his table and drink of his cup.
In the agony of the garden he says Father all things are possible for you let this cup pass...but it could not.
Peter would try by his sword to protect the Lord but the battle Jesus had entered was not against flesh and blood and could not be won by such...only a trust in the Father to perform his perfect will.
It is in this way if we would be his disciples and the sons of our Father we must die at his cross.
The life received from Adam is not changed or redeemed it is crucified in Messiah...The Father gives new life..his life to us.
This life we are given is not to be spent on us or we will find ourselves destitute among the unclean desiring that we could eat the same garbage they eat.
If we try to hold back just a piece for ourselves we find that as Ananias we fall dead...every bit must be poured out of us.
This is why Paul gives us such stern warning about the results of drinking the cup unworthy.

Translate

Popular Posts