Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The grace of God: Romans part 8

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:15-23
At first glance it would seem that the question asked in verse fifteen of Romans chapter six is a repetition of verse one. If we take a closer look we see they are quite different.
The question of verse one asks the believer if we can continue in “the sin” since the power in grace is greater than the destruction of “the sin”. The difference between sins and “the sin” is this: “the sin” is the source while sins are the result.
“The sin” occurred when Adam rejected YHWH as his maker and life. He chooses instead of complete fellowship with the Father to become a self. Deciding to be his own maker and make his own life. Sins are the self-generated acts by which man attempts to reach Adams goal.
Pauls witness to us is that we who have placed our trust in the Fathers grace have through Messiah’s death put to death this rebellious desire. We have instead placed our trust in YHWH as our maker and source; fully expecting His life in us to be the generation of our living and acts.
The law teaches us what YHWH’s life generating our living looks like. The old man inherited from Adam who is trying to attain to life through his own generation is under the standard set by the law; under the law. The new man of faith in the Father and His messiah is receiving the gift of life manifested in his being; under grace.
 The relationship of the law is quite different for the old and new man. The old man finds it is an unwavering judge of the absence of life within him and a reminder of the death that shall be the culmination of all his efforts. The new man sees it teaching him the fullness of the result of the promise he has placed his trust in. The Law is for those who trust the Father as their maker is an illumination of what the Father is making them to be.
Paul ask us since we are no longer trying to obtain to the law as a standard do we continue in the acts of selfishness from which we have been set free. The self is separate from the fellowship of YHWH’s life and is therefore dead. When we experience this then we know that every self-generated act can only bring us to that death.
We yielded the actions of our members to bring forth our own selfish acts when our trust was placed in us as our own maker. Since our trust is now placed in the Father then we now should yield the actions of our members to that which He is making us.
The old man from Adam thinks to change himself by the things he does. This is blindness; for a man cannot generate from himself anything but what he already is. When the Father opens our eyes we see that the life of the Father made living in us changes who we are and thereby the things we do. “The obedience” is to turn from our own dead works and have faith (trust, dependence, and expectation) in the Father as our maker and only source.
The payoff for the constant work of trying to make oneself is to become a self; alone with no fellowship, separated from all, in short death. In contrast the gift given by YHWH through Messiah is to be one with the creator of all seen and unseen; brought into a complete fellowship having no separation between the Father and us, in short eternal life.
I and my Father are one.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Deuteronomy 30:19 20 “… I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life…
 

Translate

Popular Posts